Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Big Events

A couple big things happen today in our house.

First, Reegan rolled over. The story goes a little like this. At Reegan's two month appointment the doctor comment on the strength of Reegan's neck. Asked me if I did a lot of tummy time. I told her no...b/c my kids don't like tummy time. As we were wrapping up the doc said "I would guess she'll be rolling over by 4 months. BUT she needs the opportunity." Her subtle way of telling me...put the kid down on her belly. My take on tummy time and rolling over is that all kids eventually roll over so if tummy time is enjoyable great...if not...what's the rush? I know sometimes it is important in the development...but my kids come out able to hold their head up so I figure...I don't know any 5 year olds that can't roll over.

So...if the mood strikes I put them down, but otherwise I don't think about it. I was putting Reegan down on the floor to start some laundry and thought...hey, let's get on our tummies. I put her down, started to walk away and she rolled over like she'd been doing it forever (which in some way she had...see above video). Then I tried to get her on video doing it...b/c I am very emotional about how fast she is changing. Of course, she refused to do it...but then I think it just kind of happened. And I got it. I think she might have rolled over yesterday too...I put her down on her tummy and went to do something and then I forgot that I put her on her tummy. When I came back she was on her back and at first I still did not remember. Then like a light bulb it flashed and I was like "hey I left you on your tummy." I just assumed Riley rolled her over (which has happend :) Riley told me she didn't, but I wasn't so sure :). But Riley wasn't here today so I know she didn't do it.

The other big event is Riley said her first swear. Yep. She was messing with my phone, push all sorts of buttons and acting all frustrated going "damnit, damnit". I told her she shouldn't say that and then I tried desperately to find out where she heard that word...just hoping with all my might it wasn't me. In fact, I was really hoping it was her dad...but I knew it wasn't. Not that Chris doesn't swear, but its rare and I never hear him say that particular one. She wouldn't give it up...who she heard say this. So I explained that we can't say that word. Not mommy or daddy. Instead we should say "darn it." And she says "Ok, mommy. You don't say it while cooking either." Ok, Riley. And there is my answer.

As I'm writing this I remember the moment. The one that taught Riley her first swear. Last night we were cooking dinner. It was a weird evening with a lot on our minds. I grabbed the handle of a pot that was very hot. I dropped it and said the word. Darn it. It was me.

1 comment:

The Hartigs said...

Keep the stories coming, I think you are a GREAT writer. And I feel close to my little RB, even though we are miles apart. Love the little new B too!