Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Bounce Jungle



I went round and round on what to do for Riley's birthday. I thought a party would be fun this year b/c she was totally getting the birthday thing and was ready to have people sing HER happy birthday. In fact, one night before bed I was asking her what she wanted for her birthday. She said "A cake." Check. "A purple bed." Check (in the form of purple sheets). A party. Uh...not check. Right now we are doing well...managing two kids and working full time. But trying to add something as big as planning a 3 year old's party on top of our already packed days just started to feel like I was laying down and a 300 lb gorilla was jumping on my chest (does this seem too dramatic?) I started to panic at the thought of invitations, and finding a place and a theme, and making gift bags. I had to ask myself..."Would it be worth all this extra stress? Would she value this party so much that she wouldn't mind giving up extra play time with me after work while I make calls or address invitations?" She's 3. And she just got a baby sister this year (I mean isn't that gift enough? ). And it came to me...what would be better than a party with lots of presents and people doting on her? A day with Mom & Dad to be the one and only, the center of ALL our attention. So...for Riley's birthday, Chris & I took the day off and celebrated Riley.

We started the day with 3 balloons outside her room. I got this idea from Kate my sister who puts balloons in her daughter's room on the eve of her birthday each year. Riley, however, is VERY particular about what we put in her room. One day I offered to leave her water in her room in case she needed it. She was all "No, no, please take it out. Take. It. Out." I put one of her stuffed animals in that she likes. She got up after I left and put it outside the door. She doesn't like anything new in there. And one day she told me she saw the recycle truck on her wall...so there was no way I was going to put balloons in her room and freak her out. I mean what kind of birthday gift would that be! She was so excited about the balloons. She kept talking about them. I mentioned to her that I was gonna put them in her room....errrr....She looked at me like I had suggested giving Reegan balloons instead of her. She said "No, no do not put them in my room. I would not like that."

After the balloons, Daddy made Riley a special blueberry pancake breakfast with strawberries on top. Last year we made her this breakfast and I bought whipped cream for the pancakes. She was NOT at all interested in the whipped cream. This year I put the whipped cream back at the store…b/c I think she would eat the whole can and not the pancakes. The difference a year makes.

And then for the big event…we took her to the Bounce Jungle. It was awesome. Chris might tell you he’s not sure who had more fun…Riley or me? It was a Friday so all the big kids were in school. When we got there, there was only 2 kids and 1 parent. When we left there were a total of 7 kids & 5 adults (including us). We had the run of the place.

To round off the big day, we took Riley & Reegan to the doctor for their well-visits (Riley’s 3 year, Reegan’s 6 month). This may not sound like a good finish to a great birthday…BUT Riley didn’t have to get any shots and Reegan did. So she thought that was pretty ok.

2 comments:

Random Blonde said...

Love this post! I'm sure Riley appreciated the special time with Mom and Dad more than she ever would have liked to have all those other kids in her house playing with her things. And you mentioned the 300-lb gorilla at the thought of planning a party? Well, it isn't much easier when you don't work full-time either. We're having Cerena's next weekend (postponed from this weekend b/c we have colds) and I'm TOTALLY stressed out about it! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks for the posts. I love keeping up with you guys. Thank God for the internet because I miss you!! :)

The Hartigs said...

That girl is so adorable, I am so happy to hear all the GREAT stories, but it makes me miss you all so much more!

Reegan is now 7 months old, WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?