Thursday, April 19, 2012

Too Many Stories




I remember not so long ago working on my blog, thinking I was going to "redesign" my blog.  And then I remember writing my Christmas update and making promises to talk about my 5 year old.  And here I am, almost a stranger.  I came here today with no idea when the last time was I had written...just knew it was a long time ago.

And that's what happens.  Time passes and then it builds up and up and I feel like I need to post pictures and write some lengthy update.  But maybe it's ok to just start with where we are today or what we did over the weekend. So let's start with that and see what happens.  Here's an excerpt from an email I sent this week:

"We had a super busy weekend.  On Saturday I took the girls to Disney On Ice with my friend Angel and her two children.  It was great.  I think the girls enjoyed it and everything went very smoothly.  They were SO good.  And our seats were super close so it was really neat.  And they got cotton candy and popcorn.  Then later that day we went to a birthday party.  One of Riley's friend's sisters.  It was a karate studio.  We were one of the first ones there and they had this obstacle course set up where the kids had to climb up a mat/wall and crawl under a stick and they had 2 kids at a time race.  It was adorable.  Reegan impressed me with how she pulled herself up the wall and slid down.  And Riley was super fast (they did relay races) and then they did musical targets (i.e. like chairs but with karate targets) and broke a board and had pizza and cupcakes.  They both had a great time.  And they were so good.  I was impressed.

Then on Sunday we ended up taking a spontaneous trip to the botanical gardens.  Chris & Riley went over to Tumbleweed Park and rode bikes…ridiculously adorable.  She is so good on the bike…I am still in awe.  She is growing up so fast.  And I just want to hold onto her and not let her grow anymore.  Anyway, then we went to the botanical gardens to see the butterflies b/c it was actually not 90 degrees out :)  It was packed…everyone had my good idea :)  Then we ended up going out to eat and THEN out for frozen yogurt.  We had a good family day.  The girls were again so good and we all had fun.  

Riley really wanted a butterfly to land on her at the gardens.  I really wanted a butterfly to land on her.  And then Reegan who is just bouncing around and not as into it has a butterfly land on her.  They giggled and Riley thought it was exciting.  She was sad one didn't land on her, but she handled it so gracefully.  I love that kid so much.  

Oh and Riley is SO into reading.  She wants to read everything.  The signs on the wall, the booklet we got at the gardens, her books.  I am excited for her.  I love reading (even though I don't do it enough) and Chris loves reading.  And I love having her read to me.  It also reminds me that before I know it she won't want me to tuck her into bed and we won't read together.  I am trying to embrace the chaos and the messiness and the handprints and the stickers on the wall and having my house design be driven by barbie dolls and matchbox cars b/c I know when it is all gone and replaced with some dining room table and open space I will miss the comfort of this mess.  "

In other news Riley taught us that the biggest lake in brasil (how she pronounces it) is lake titicaca (sounds like how it is spelled so maybe you can understand why I was googling it to see if she had it right).  It's actually between Bolivia and Peru, but she is right about the lake.  Riley is going to go to the public school around the corner from our house next year and I am beyond excited to be able to walk her to and from school.  It is an excellent school that people wait list to be part of, but its more traditional (desks, books) and I will miss the way she learns now.  Her preschool is fantastic and I have loved hearing the excitement in her voice about the new countries or artists or composers she has learned about.  Or listening to her talk about photosynthesis or the planets.  It has been truly amazing.  In fact, so much so that right now I'm going to sign off and write her teacher a thank you note.

And hopefully now that I have gotten this first one out it won't take me so long to write the next one.

No comments: