On Friday Reegan started her first official day of preschool, all by herself. I say official because like Riley she went to the summer school program at her preschool for a couple of weeks. Unlike Riley she got to go with her big sister the first four times she went to preschool (during summer). But this Friday, Reegan branched out on her own for the first time.
As with all seconds and thirds and so forth, it was different with Reegan. On the one hand, Reegan has spent the past two years going to this preschool 3 and 5 days a week (respectively) to take and pick Riley up. She knows the facilities and many of the teachers and staff. She even knows some of the students (because they are in multi-age classrooms not all of the students went onto Kindergarten like Riley). So this is not some foreign place where her mom is abandoning her (what, too harsh?). On the other hand, Reegan has never been in daycare or ever left anywhere without Riley. Not even with her grandma. So this is a big deal. It's a page turner in her storybook. It's a milestone in her life where we will start to see who Reegan is when it is just Reegan (this is how I felt about college...I really came into my own when it was just me...among many).
Reegan has not verbalized any concerns about going to school. Even after we were surprised with the news that she would NOT have Riley's teacher as we had expected and her teacher would be a "boy". Actually, a 6'2" man to be exact. In fact, all of Reegan's expressions have been quite the opposite (all does work out the way it should because Riley would have had a tough time with a male teacher in preschool...in fact, we'd probably be out shopping new schools right now). On Tuesday, when the girls woke up and I reminded Riley it was time to get ready for school, Reegan shouted "No, it MY turn to go to school." Oh if only it worked that way. And at dinner when we were asking Riley questions about school, for the first time ever Reegan seemed jealous. She wanted to talk about what she did that day and show us her pictures and work. She may have woken up at 6am on Saturday but on her first day of school we had to wake her up! Once she was up she excitedly exclaimed "Ri-E, know what today is?! It's my first day of cool (i.e. school)!"
And like Riley she got to pick her first day of school breakfast. We had pancakes again (her choice). We got dressed...after talking her out of wearing a full length skirt (which just did not seem practical for the playground) she put on an appropriately cheery rainbow striped sundress with white shorts under. We took more pictures and off to school we went. This time though we had to divide and conquer because there just wasn't enough time to get Riley to school and then make it to Reegan's. Chris took Riley and I took Regain. When we got there Reegan walked right in and blew me a kiss good bye. I lingered. Just to watch her. She seemed a little lost. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the school on this day. It is really Reegan's first day ever in a school setting (summer program is so different) so she had NO idea what she was supposed to do. And because there were only 2 other kids there she couldn't really follow their lead. I wish they had more of a plan to either show her around the room or even a few areas that may have things for her to do. There is a lot of work that she cannot do until she first has a lesson so a little guidance would have been very helpful. The teacher who used to be in this classroom was there to help, but she only told Reegan what she could not play with. Despite my feelings on this first day, I'm sure the school year will be a success once they get rolling. Reegan's teacher Mr. Fernando seems very nice and excited to be working in this classroom. When I returned to pick Reegan up that day I had the opportunity to see her sitting at a lunch table among her peers...excitedly comparing their lunch ice packs :) And the aide, Ms. Claudia (whom Riley had) said she had a very good morning.
As we walked out of the building, without being prompted, Reegan announced to me "My favwit part was going outside." There she saw her "friend" Katie whom was in Riley's class last year and danced at the same studio as the girls (though we only discovered this at the rehearsal). They played Monster and Reegan tried to save Katie but Katie was fine. The end.
I am not sure the other things Reegan did at school. She is about 6 months younger than Riley was when she started and I cannot remember how I knew (or really if I knew) what Riley worked on at school until we met with her teacher in the fall. But I do remember Riley brought home lots of art type things...water colors and drawings. So much that at one point I remember thinking "do you do anything else there?" Reegan brought home zero pieces of paper/drawings. I can't wait to see what she becomes interested in.
Having Reegan start school has made me look at her differently. Had she gone into the same room that Riley went to with the same teacher I think I would worry so much less. But having a whole new teacher has really thrown me. And I am reminded that each kid is so different and that is also in how they express themselves. I realize that quiet does not always mean everything feels ok and I don't need any help.
I am beyond excited to watch Reegan grow and develop. I am excited to hear about the things she learns that interest her enough to tell us.
And with that we move onto week 2! I was reflecting earlier on just how fast our 8 weeks of summer went (and next year we only have 7!)...I just want to hold onto each of these ages and years knowing that school years are going to come and go faster and faster as they grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment