Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fruitarians and their Vegetarian sisters

Reegan loves green vegetables.  I didn't know. Because Riley likes 3 vegetables in total:  corn, raw carrots and tomatoes (which Riley reminds me are really fruit).  Sadly, we had gotten into a rut of serving vegetables I knew would be eaten by everyone.  Or none at all.

On vacation Chris' aunt Connie had some mini peppers and Reegan happily chomped down on a red one.  And I know when Jaclyn has raw broccoli at lunch Reegan always asks for some.  And I know when I made bad asparagus (not cooked enough or chewy) she will eat it as if it was from a 5 start restaurant.  And recently when walking through the produce section Reegan started screeching with excitement...all because she saw bushels of fresh broccoli.  But even with all of this I just did not catch on that this child really likes vegetables.  And would prefer them over fruit.  Or meat.  Or pretty much anything except yogurt and raisins (which are still her comfort foods :).

Anyway I have been making more effort to make green stuff in her honor.  And often when I do its the one thing she eats at dinner the same way fruit is the one thing I can count on Riley to eat.  And thru this effort Reegan has found a new love, push out beans (aka Edamame).  She would like to eat these every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  And she will ask me very nicely for them.  "Please, I have push out beans?"

So the other night I was making dinner and even though I was making broccoli I made some "push-out beans" for the little 3 year old who asked me so sweetly.  We don't make the girls try food.  We give them the opportunity to try it but we don't make an issue of it.  We might say "I think you would like this if you try it."  And that is how I felt about Edamame for Riley.  So on that night while I was cooking I asked Riley if she would want to try one bean.  Not even the whole pod, but just one bean.  I told her if she didn't like it she could spit it out.  She was kind of mulling over the idea when Reegan came up, put her arm around Riley's shoulder and said "Don't worry Ri-E.  If you not like it, I eat it."

Sisterhood.  Peace.


No comments: