Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More conversations with Riley

So recently Riley has discovered she is tall enough to turn the light switches on and off. Naturally this has become her favorite pasttime. On. Off. On. Off. The other day she was going to the bathroom when she declared she needed to turn the fan on so it would blow on her b/c the she turned the light on and the light made her warm.

Tonight while I was slaving away washing the dishes (hahaha...Chris actually did most of them) Riley began turning off the lights in the dining room which is really her play room. She wants to shut the blinds too b/c her babies are going night-night. She actually says to me "Please close the blinds...all my kids are sleeping." Anyway, next to the play room light switch is the kitchen light switch. Her love of all things switch makes it impossible for her to resist also turning off the kitchen lights...which leads to this discussion:

Me: "Riley, do not turn off the kitchen lights"
Riley: "I need to turn the lights off b/c all my kids are sleeping"
Me: "Riley you can turn off the lights in there where they are sleeping. I need the lights on in here so I can do the dishes."

Riley then turns off the kitchen light again.

Me: "Riley stop turning off the light or you will go into a timeout."
Riley: "Mommy I need to turn off the lights b/c Reegan is sleeping"
Me: "Riley, she does not need the light off"

Riley turns the light off again.

Me: "Riley, who's the boss?"
Riley: "You the boss" (she says this as she tilts her head in the voice that says "don't be silly, of course you are the boss Mommy"...my sweet, innocent, obedient 2 1/2 year old)
Me: "That's right"

Then she comes back in and says "I'm the boss. I'm the winner so I'm the boss" to which I giggle. Then she says:

"You want the light on or off? "

Me: "Off"
Riley: "On?"
Me: "Off!"
Riley: "On?"

And this goes on for a bit to which she then tells me if I turn the light on I am going into a time out.

Then she says "I have to go potty soon." I guess she can see into the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're so good at sharing these wonderful stories!