Monday, March 16, 2009

Everyday its something new

I missed a day. Sunday was crazy. Today was even crazier. But that is a blog for another day.

Everyday Riley does something that totally catches us off guard. Often it doesn't seem so extraordinary on the surface, but then we remember she's only 2 and it is crazy fascinating. Yesterday morning Riley woke at 6:30am (by the way since my blog update about how she doesn't sleep late enough she has slept until 6:30 or 6:45 every day...and I'm happy with this.) Anyway, she stood at the magic gate and called for me. "Mommy, I'm awake. Mommy". After a few minutes Chris went into get her. And I just laid there...expecting 10-15 minutes while he got her dressed. Instead they came right into the room and as I lay there with a pillow over my head aware of her presence, but not seeing her...Chris announces "Riley dressed herself today." I pull the pillow off my head and say "What?" And there she was...in her brown cords, green t-shirt (albeit on backwards) standing proud. Like the independent little 2 year old she is. The kid got out of bed to only a nightlight (we keep her room as dark as possible for hopes of longer napping)...opened her drawer, picked out some pants, opened another and picked out a shirt. She then took off her pjs and dressed herself. I just wonder what clicked such that she rolled over and thought "Hey I am totally empowered to dress myself. I can now get out of bed (as opposed to the crib) and I know where my clothes are and how to take these clothes off and put those new clothes on."

Whatever made her realize she could do all this, I don't think she will forget. This morning she not only got up and got dressed, she even got clean underwear. And that is in the high drawer that she can't see in.

1 comment:

The Hartigs said...

OMG, I am so confused about what I am feeling!!!!!!!! I am proud of my little niece because she is changing all the time and smart as can be; but at the same time I am feeling so sad because it is all happening so fast, and I realize holy crap, I am going to experience this 2 at a time! I don't want it all to change, but I can't wait for all the stories and you can't have the stories without the changing....ahhhhhh!

P.S. Could that kid get any cuter!!