Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Making my dreams come true

I love skateboarding. It is hands down my favorite sport to watch. I think the things people can do on a board is just so amazing. Once we were in beautiful San Diego in my jeep with the top off and there was this teenage girl riding her skateboard carrying her surf board. I'm pretty sure she was the coolest girl that ever lived. And I wished I could go back in time and be her.


When I found out our second child would be a girl, there was a bit (just the slightest) of disappointment. For one reason. I had pictured myself raising a little boy, buying him Vans and taking him to the skatepark.

So when we found Reegan would enter this world as an amazing, awesome baby girl...I decided my girls would just break the glass ceiling on women's skateboarding...some day you may watch them ride X games ON tv (instead of just the guys).


Where am I going with all of this?


On Sunday, we were sitting outside in the backyard. It was just Chris, Riley & I. Riley disappeared for a little bit. We were like "What's she doing?" All of the sudden she comes around the corner with my skateboard. I am totally into child-led learning/playing...meaning I try to watch what Riley shows interest in and then provide her the opportunity to do it when she wants. So while I may have talked about them riding skateboards I would never have pushed it on my girls. I mean I might talk it up ANYTIME we saw someone riding a skateboard...but that's it. So can you imagine my excitement when my daughter just shy of 3 years old comes to me wanting to ride a skateboard?! I eagerly put a helmet on her and let her mess around with that board. And then I spent hours pouring over the internet looking for the best starter board for a 3 year old (I'm kidding...a little). Seriously though she is pretty good. I mean she gets it (even with a board that is as big as she is). And everyday since then she has asked to ride the skateboard.


Running through my list of reasons to have children...letting Mom relive her childhood vicariously thru you. Check. A dream come true.

Next on that list is having someone to cut the lawn. For free.

2 comments:

Random Blonde said...

I love love LOVE this post! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today. I needed it!!

The Hartigs said...

I love it too, and I have COMPLETELY felt just the same!! I get it in so many ways. I hope the girls discover our long boards soon. Ugh, I guess they should learn to walk first????